Archive for December, 2011
This stellar custom invitation suite was submitted to us by our good friend Jessica at Judy Paulen Designs in New York, NY. With the perfect design elements on the invitation, this only quietly calls for attention-and we just love that! We absolutely adore the soft, subtle ink palette which is the perfect match to the couple’s fabulous venue in Chicago, Illinois. The neutral and conservative pairing of our dove and pewter inks look positively remarkable! And then there’s the metallic platinum envelope liner providing the perfect color contrast.
inks: dove + pewter | fonts: smock harrison + carrington stripes | paper: 2-ply white | printing: letterpress | liner: metallic platinum| invite size: S7
Christmas is right around the corner, and we love having an extra reason to get crafty around here! We made these festive Christmas Trees with our double-sided gift wrap for a little extra holiday cheer — they’re a fun DIY project and pretty enough to give as a gift — just be sure to make a few for yourself!
You will need: a cone/tree form (we preferred the cardboard cones, but styrofoam works, too!), paper, scissors, and a hot glue gun. Start by covering your tree form in the paper color of your choice. We used our Merry wrap for this tree. If you purchase a cardboard tree form, these typically have a point on top, but if you use a styrofoam form (like the one shown above), we recommend making a point with the wrap for a sleek look (see below).
After you’ve covered the tree form, you’ll need curls. LOTS of curls. We used our Merry wrap and our Mistletoe wrap for this part for some variety. To make the curls, cut your paper into thin strips of varying lengths and widths — the variety will help the tree ‘fill in’ nicely. Then, begin curling the strips with scissors the way you would for curling ribbon. When you’ve compiled a decent amount of curls, begin adhering them to your tree with a hot glue gun.
Get ready to blow out those birthday candles! Check out these recently printed birthday party invitations submitted to us by our friends at Judy Paulen Designs in New York, NY. Our plymouth die cut adds even more boyish charm to an already youthful looking birthday party invitation. We can’t get enough of the granby backing patterning in navy, and take a look at the envelope liner in reverse granby in navy-for another super cool customization. Alright now, let’s get the party started!
inks: navy | fonts: smock harrison | paper 2-ply white | invite size: S-6 | printing: letterpress | die cut: plymouth | back pattern: the granby pattern in navy | edge paint: black | liner: the reversed granby pattern in navy
We were inspired by these amazing snowflakes on How About Orange and decided to create our own crafty garland with the pretty paper folds instead of snowflakes! It’s really simple and the end result is stunning, and you’ll only need a few items: paper, scissors, and a glue stick! We used our double-sided, eco-friendly Pageant gift wrap — it’s really cheerful & festive!
Cut 10-15 6 inch squares of your favorite Smock gift wrap. We used Pageant.
Fold each square in half diagonally, then fold it in half diagonally a second time.
Use the scissors to make straight cuts on the triangle, and make sure each cut is evenly spaced apart – we created 5 cuts. Be sure to cut into the folded side of the triangle.
Unfold the paper, then begin assembly by bending the tips of the inner-most sections toward each other. Curl with your fingers to give it shape, then glue the pieces together.
Bend the next set of sections around in the opposite direction until they meet. Overlap the ends and secure with a glue stick. Continue this process until each section is combined.
Begin assembling your garland by gluing the ends of the ornaments to one another. Let dry, hang, and enjoy!
We’re overjoyed to share these recently printed Lashar wedding invitations submitted to us by our friend, Linda at Pen & Paper in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. What better color combination is there than mulberry and gold for a wedding celebration in December? When guests open up the pocketfold they will see the most incredible wash of mulberry and we think this is where the set is most romantic. Around here we LOVE December weddings and the colors that come with the holiday season.
inks: mulberry + gold | fonts: cooper + smock clermont | paper: 1-ply ivory | printing: letterpress |folio exterior: marav pattern in gold | folio interior: sinclair pattern in mulberry| invite size: 5.125 x 7.75
There’s no better compliment than when a store asks us to print their own cards. Julie from Sweet Paper in La Jolla, CA used our Pearl design in such a clever way. I think this might be my favorite Christmas card to date! I may have to steal the idea for myself Thanks Julie!
inks: dove + grasss + gold | fonts: percy + harrison | paper: 2-ply ivory | printing: letterpress | Christmas card |
- Fancy oils and flavorful vinegars: you’ll never need to buy bottled salad dressing again. Pick an oil + a vinegar and it’s the perfect gift. The vinegars are wild — a favorite combination is walnut oil + ginger spiked blackberry.
- Uncommon iphone cases: support indie artists. Choose your favorite artwork by a cool indie designer, then create your own unique iPhone case.
- Snack Taxi snack sacks: great for parents or kids. Get rid of your plastic bags for snacks! Wild and crazy patterns, made in the USA. Stella is partial to the gnomes.
Toothbrushes: a years worth of toothbrushes. Made of bamboo, practical & witty – and perfect for the person who has everything.
- Walnut end grain cutting boards – made with local New York State wood – these cutting boards are simply beautiful. Makes cutting pretty and fun!
- Canning for a New Generation: get your beloveds hooked on canning with this cookbook (lower sugar, wild flavors!) and a big old case of mason jars.
Lunastix Juggling Sticks: these are the perfect gift for active kids as they keep their hands and minds busy. There are sticks for all sizes, ages and levels. Made in Salt Lake City.
Clementine Art Supplies: natural, non toxic, well designed. The natural gift set includes everything needed for your favorite young artist and comes in a tidy box.
- Mint owl coasters: Etsy has some of the coolest owl coasters (like the minty ones above)
Hindu Holiday tea: lovely tea made right in brooklyn. This is the perfect gift for anyone with exquisite taste, and because of their beautiful packaging no wrapping is required. Amy’s favorite for the holidays is Bellocq’s Hindu Holiday herbal tea – a delicious fragrant caffeine-free Fairtrade chai.
- Dead Feminists Broadside: A beautiful, hand-pulled letterpress print, created with hand-lettered original typography and hand-drawn illustrations and patterns (in fact, everything was done by hand, the hard way!). This particular broadside features Jane Mecom and her brother, Benjamin Franklin, but there are more available in the Dead Feminists Etsy shop.
Felt kindle sleeve: make someone’s Kindle reading experience more pleasurable with this cozy sleeve!
Liberty water bottles – made in the USA from recycled aluminum. They are works of art!
If we were not already in the holiday spirit- these colorful and cheery Christmas cards would surely turn that right around! This custom and lovable set was submitted to us by our good friend, Sara at Salutations in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Check out the reindeer envelope liner that is actually made from our Smock gift wrap! Looking at these cards we can’t help but feel good inside, as the holiday season is just around the corner! What a perfect way to send warm wishes to your friends and family!
inks: grass + cherry | fonts: smock clermont | paper: 2-ply white bamboo | printing: letterpress | signature liner: C9G1-1 | card size: S6
The holidays are right around the corner, so it’s time to start shopping for gifts! At Smock, we’ve got something for everyone — whether it’s pretty letterpress stationery for her, or man-friendly notebooks for him, we’ve got you covered. This is a carefully selected assortment of our best-selling items, so they’re sure to please everyone on your list! We’ve even got some great stocking stuffer ideas — all for under $15!! So stop by your local Smock retailer or visit our website to get started on your holiday shopping today! And don’t forget to stock up on a few rolls of our double-sided, eco-friendly gift wrap for a perfectly coordinated present (and to find out how to make matching bows, visit us on Youtube!).
1. Veranda Medium Keepsake Box $12 | 2. Quadrille Attachments Sticky Note Cube $18 | 3. Pollen Letterpress Scratchpad $7 | 4. Sorbet Letterpress Art Print Calendar $8 | 5. Honeycomb Letterpress Social Notes $14 for a 6 count box | 6. Veranda Notebook $9 | 7. Berry Memo $7 | 8. Cayman Offset Social Notes $12 for an 8 count box | 9. Picadilly Jotters $6 for a 2-pack | 10. Newport Lettersheets $20 for a set of 12
1. Oxford jotters $6 for a 2-pack | 2. Planet Memo $7 | 3. Ridley Lettersheets $20 for a set of 12 | 4. Bicyclette Letterpress Social Notes $14 for a 6 count box | 5. Peacock Letterpress Art Print Calendar $8 | 6. Koi Notebook $9 | 7. Bicyclette Scratchpad $7 | 8. Pembroke Offset Social Notes $12 for an 8 count box | 9. Oxford Medium Keepsake Box $12 | 10. Beetle Attachments Sticky Note Cube $18
1. Peacock Letterpress Scratchpad $7 | 2. Bubbles Letterpress Gift Tags $8 for a 6-pack | 3. Ming Memo $7| 4. Herons Letterpress Social Notes $14 for a 6 count box | 5. Pollen Jotters $6 for a 2-pack | 6. Oxford Letterpress Art Print Calendar $8 | 7. Pollen Letterpress Art Print Calendar $8 | 8. Jade Letterpress Gift Tags $8 for a 6-pack | 9. Crochet Memo $7 | 10. Flowerburst Letterpress Scratchpad $7