Today we’re sharing a peek inside Marissa Allie Designs, a custom stationery studio based in New York City. Her sweet space is bright and cheery, with pops of pink and lots of artwork. Take a look inside!
How she got started: When I began college, I started out studying graphic design at the School of Visual Arts. I learned the importance of typography, and grew to love the many ways a font can express the written word. Throughout my schooling, I explored various outlets such as visual presentation, fine arts & fashion merchandising.
All of those years of experience led to what I believe is my passion. I finally figured out that I could do something that let me continuously explore my creativity while guiding people to discover their wedding paper dreams…it was a no brainer! Friends and family began to ask me to help them with all sorts of paper items and eventually Marissa Allie Designs was up and running!
Highlights and challenges: I love the look on clients face when they get to see the final invitation suite. It’s an accomplishment that we worked together to achieve, but it also means that their wedding day is becoming more and more of a reality!
The most challenging part is fitting within a clients budget while ensuring them that it is all worth it. Even though budgets can be a tricky task sometimes, I love taking on the challenge to make it work for the client without disappointments. I take pride in spending the time to make adjustments to an invitation suite without compromising the overall aesthetic the client is going for. This way we are all happy and always pleasantly surprised!
5 prized possessions:
- A Jade bracelet that my husband bought for me on our honeymoon when we made a stop in Hong Kong. I wear it everyday, and it symbolizes protection.
- An oversized gold flower ring which was my Nana, Emma’s. When she passed, each grandchild was given something of hers, and I always admired this ring.
- Another ring! This one from my other grandma Nanny, Lillian. A pinky ring which is gold with rubies. Since my hand is much smaller, it fits on my ring finger just right, it is a gem!
- My dogs memory box that I created, to store all of his things from when we first picked him up from the airport. He is a 2 year old Goldendoodle named Hudson Hoosier, and he is my furry little baby.
- Old photographs of my family from when my sister, brother and I were kids. We were so happy and our parents gave us so much love and support. Every now and then I glance at them and smile, because it reminds me how lucky I am to have an older sister who taught me the ropes and a younger brother to take care of!
Essential stops in your neighborhood: My shop is located in the heart of NYC, and as I tell my family & friends…I thrive off of this city. There are endless amounts of places to explore. I love taking walks over to Madison Square Park and making a pit stop at Eataly, before I head over to the Union Square Green Market. In between, I hit up the local art & paper supply store Paper Presentation, as well as many of my fave stores on 5th Avenue! From the time I leave my studio and get to Union Square I have had my share of sight seeing and entertainment for the day!
Many thanks to Marissa for giving us a peek inside her studio!